The GMS Story: Making Waves
It started in 1930s rural Saskatchewan. Getting sick or injured could mean financial ruin. Something as simple as a broken arm could force a family to sell an acre of farmland to pay the medical bill. To these hard-working folks, this was unacceptable. Something had to be done. Something had to change.
Refusing to sit back and accept the status quo, a small group of people started making waves with a new idea. In true Saskatchewan spirit, they brought the community together by having each person agree to pay a set amount each month to cover each other’s medical bills. It was risky and had never been done before, but the idea worked. And it grew.
In 1940, a non-profit called the Regina Mutual Medical Benefit Association (RMMBA) was formed. Nine years later, they merged with Medical Services Incorporated (Regina), a plan sponsored by doctors, to form who we are today – Group Medical Services or GMS as we’re known now.
Community is still at the centre of everything we do. We’re still a Regina-based non-profit organization that’s helping people pay their medical bills through our health, dental and travel insurance. Our profits are donated to help improve the health of the community and used to make improvements to our products and services. Through the support of our customers, we’ve been able to give back millions to health-focused community initiatives.
Like those early visionaries, we’re set to make waves again. We’re daring to make health insurance easy to buy, easy to use, and easy to understand. We don’t want you to have any surprises or headaches when making a claim – life’s stressful enough already. Flexible products with the right coverage for you. Easy-to-use online tools. The friendliest customer service representatives just a phone call away. An easy, pain-free insurance experience that makes you say “wow!” We want to push the boundaries and do things differently in insurance. We’re brave, we’re bold, and we’re continuously working to make insurance as simple as possible.
At GMS, we’re looking to do things differently and we’re excited for you to experience what’s to come.
Empower Canadians to make positive healthy decisions through our wellness network, responsive products and personalized experiences.
Communities and individuals connected by a desire to continuously improve health and wellness.
- Caring: We care about our customers. We take the time to listen and understand what matters most.
- Innovative: We’re innovative in smart ways. GMS employs a customer- responsive team that balances personal touch and advanced industry technology.
- Easy: We’re easy to deal with. Simple. Upfront with our customers.
- Positive: We’re positive. We look at problems as opportunities. Because we’re positive, we believe in and help our customers achieve their dreams of living well.
- Real: We’re real. Down to earth, approachable and friendly.
- Fair: We’re fair with our approach in everything we do.