At GMS Health and Travel Insurance, we've been helping Canadians feel protected and live well for more than 70 years. We care about our customers, our community and each other, giving back with our time and talents, not to mention our support for vital health programs in cardiac care and trauma services. We've also been named one of Saskatchewan's Top Employers for ten years.
Think you'd like to be part of a team that truly takes care of our customers, our communities and each other? All in all, we're a pretty awesome bunch to work with!
Here's the role
The Application Architect is responsible for planning and designing software systems that meet the functional and non-functional requirements for GMS's digital transformation. This position focuses on the integration of GMS's core cloud IT infrastructure with other technologies and third-party systems. This role will apply the most relevant design patterns and will ensure software engineering principles and best practices are applied to GMS's software systems. Acting as a software design lead, this position plays a key role in mentoring software developers and overseeing the design and development of GMS's software applications.
- Consult with senior leadership on application requirements and incorporate GMS's desired functionalities into application development plans.
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend technology solutions to improve current processes.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and the application development team on application design and architecture.
- Compile, implement and monitor application development stages.
- Architect and design cloud-based applications and services on the Azure platform by leveraging Azure services such as Azure Functions, Azure App Service, Azure SQL and more.
- Provide thought leadership and technical support to application developers.
- Work with developers to translate business requirements and technical specifications.
- Write scripts and code for applications to assist application developers, as needed.
- Design and implement CI/CD pipelines for automated application deployment and updates.
- Implement testing and monitoring strategies to maintain application health.
- Create architecture diagrams, detailed technical specifications, and software models for development projects on Azure.
- Document application development processes, procedures, and standards.
Set yourself apart
Here's the nuts and bolts of what we're looking for. Use these as a guide for how you can truly differentiate yourself from the competition.
- Leadership: Do you pride yourself in promoting the organization's mission, vision, and values?
- Critical Thinking: Can you think 'big picture' and connect the dots between the business interdependencies?
- Quality Orientation: Do you set high expectations for yourself and others to ensure business processes and practices are followed appropriately?
- Impact and Influence: Can you understand different perspectives and opinions while sharing yours in an open environment?
- Problem Solving: Do you actively explore and analyze solutions to make effective customer and business decisions?
Your must haves
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ years' experience in a broad IT development environment, using multiple Azure technologies.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience as an application architect (preferably in the insurance industry)
- Highly proficient in programming languages, such as SQL, Java, C#, and .NET
- Highly experienced in Microservices architectures and API services (GraphQL, REST, Event-driven)
- Experience with web development frameworks and tools, such as PHP, ASP.NET, NodeJS, AngularJS, Bootstrap and Gulp.
- Experience with secure coding practices and protocols such as the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP)
- Proven experience with development on Cloud platforms like Azure and AWS
- Expert knowledge of system development lifecycle (SDLC) and Integrated Development Environments (IDE).
- Extensive experience in aligning application development with business needs.
Are we a fit? If you think so, please apply by November 29, 2023. We'd love to reach out to everyone who applies, but we just don't have enough hands! If you're selected for an interview, we'll be in touch. If not, please consider us again in the future.