Immigrants & Visitors FAQs

Yes. You’ll be covered for trips outside of Canada for up to 30 days as long as you:

  • depart from and return to Canada;
  • aren’t returning to your country of origin during your trip; and
  • aren’t outside of Canada for more than 50% of the total days of coverage you purchased.

Please remember you can’t extend your coverage past the 30-day maximum. If you’re over the 30-day limit you won’t be covered for emergency medical treatment or follow-up care for a condition that developed during that time.

No. Our Immigrants & Visitors to Canada plans only cover unexpected emergency medical treatment.

Yes, in most cases we will provide a full or partial refund. You will need to ask for a refund by contacting our Customer Care Team at 1.800.667.3699 or

No longer coming to Canada? We will provide a full refund if no travel has taken place. Just make sure you contact us before the effective date shown on your confirmation document.

Becoming a Canadian? Congratulations! We’ll calculate your refund from the date your government health plan begins.

Returning home early? As long as you haven't made a claim, we’ll calculate your refund from the date you leave Canada. Please include proof of departure (ex. travel itinerary) when you ask for your refund.

Visa application denied? Please attach a copy of the visa decline letter when you ask for a refund. We’ll calculate your refund from the date we hear from you, and an administration fee will be deducted from the refund.

We don’t cover expenses related to pregnancy, an abortion, miscarriage, childbirth or complications of any of these conditions.

Yes. The person covered under the plan must be under the age of 80 on the effective date of the plan.